- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 head (16 ounces total) cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1/2 cup plain Hans Dairy 2% or 3.2% Dahi
- 1 tablespoon Hans Dairy Salty Spiced Lassi Yogurt Drink
- 6 1/2 cups (1538 ml) of vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cup (9 ounces) lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- Italian Parsley to garnish
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Stir in the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Cover and cook until the onion begins to turn translucent, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, and 6 1/2 cups of the broth. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat. Skim off any froth that comes to the top and stir in the bay leaf. Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 40 to 45 minutes, adding broth as needed.
Stir in the cauliflower. Partially cover and cook until the cauliflower is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and the pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
Mix together the yogurt and lassi. Serve garnished with the yogurt, lassi & fresh parsley.
We love our lentil soup recipe and share with you our passion for cooking with our salty spiced lassi and dahi yogurt combined to add South Asian inspiration to all your family gatherings.
For family members with dairy sensitivity, we suggest Hans Dairy Lactose Free 2% Plain Dahi Yogurt. Ask your local grocer about product availability.
Online and in-store at select Coppa’s, Food Basics, Fortinos, FreshCo., Loblaws, Longos, Metro, NoFrills, Real Canadian Superstore, Sobeys, Valu-Mart, Walmart, Your Independent Grocer, Zehrs and other specialty grocery stores.